Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Tale of Two Time Trials

Last weekend was two days, two TTs and two flavors of suffering. The events were an interesting comparison & contrast for me because they demonstrated how my riding has changed, and how my ability and perception of "suffering" (the cool way to say "working hard") has changed-- or is different based on the tilt of the road.


Both events were about 18 miles. One was Ross' Epic Hill Climb and the other was the Dunlop ITT. Both were individual events (at least where it mattered, in the hill climb). Both required maximum efforts for most of the race (ok, a little less so for the hill climb because it was a mass start with a few miles of pack riding at the beginning).


On the hill climb, it was harder for me to really "suffer"-- it was painful for sure, but though I felt like I was going as fast as I could, I wasn't "dying." That is in total contrast to the TT-- I was (much of the time) pushing absolutely as hard as I could go. In the TT it felt like a familiar kind of suffering-- I knew how deep I was going and had been there before (like in 'cross races). On the hill climb my effort seemed to be constrained from going as
deep as I could go. Maybe the slope, maybe mental or physical factors outside of the actual day? Do my HRs tell a story? (hill climb/TT) Average 164/164 Maximum 173/176.


I used to be a real climber-- that was my strength. Now I guess I am a rouleur, a "distance rider" or maybe even sprinter-- due to age? muscle development? cyclocross? beer? I will never know for sure. But I know I do really enjoy the "suffering" in a TT or cyclocross situation. I realize I have a challenge to achieve that same level of "suffering enjoyment" in the climbing environment. But that is a pretty fun challenge.

Here's a hill climb rider who looks like he is suffering enough..








And one who clearly is not!










Good riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment